A small alpine village that is located far from the big cities, at the doorstep of two-thousanders peaks of Kamnik-Savinja Alps. It is the central settlement of the Solčavska region, which, in order to maintain exceptional natural resources, received the title European Destination of Excellence (EDEN) in 2009.
On the paths of Jezersko-Solčavke Sheep and Solčava mountain wood
The expanded settlement of Solčava is a world among the mountains with a preserved regional distinctiveness. This is a home to hardworking happy people, who have, for centuries preserved the original connection between man with nature. Various products are created from autochthonous Jezersko-Solčavke Sheep and Solčava mountain wood.
Sustainable development and preservation of heritage
Take some time to stop at the Center Rinka where you can see carefully crafted domestic products and do not miss the permanent exhibition Solčavsko – a walk in the lap of the Alps. Nearby there is the church of Marije Snežne, the only fully preserved Gothic church in the Upper Savinja Valley.
Preserving the heritage and nature deserves special respect in Solčava. Regional parks Logarska Valley and Robanov kot are protected areas of Natura 2000 and constitute more than 80% territory of Solčava municipality.
Sights and popular tourist spots in Solčava:
- Solčava panoramic road, by bicycle or on foot for the best views of the Kamnik-Savinja Alps;
- visit the Logarska Valley Nature Park and the Rinka Falls;
- Take a walk in the Robanov kot regional park and taste homemade spirits with sour milk;
- learn about the healing power of herbs in Fidov gaj park;
- Solčavska tisa, one of the oldest herbs in Slovenia;
- discover the secrets described by Potočka zijalka, former residence of the cave bear and ice hunter;
- experience various stories with your family in the magical fairy-tale forest in Logarska Valley.
Experiences in Solčava:
- Relay your body and feed your soul on mountain tours of the Kamnik-Savinja Alps;
- Gain first archery skills at the Gradišnik farm;
- enjoy homemade delicacies from tourist farms, among which the Upper Savinja stomach is not to be missed;
- Test your skills and power in the ethno games based on local cultural heritage;
- During winter try cross-country skiing, alpinism, sledding, ice climbing
Traditional events in Solčava:
- Mountain wood days;
- Hiking Festival in the Kamnik-Savinja Alps;
- Hike during the full moon along the Solčava Panoramic Road;
- Solčava’s Days, days of tourism in Solčava;
- Chainsaw gouda, chainsaw scupltures;
- BICKA, learn how sheep wool products are produced;
- December events (outdoor concert, night torch with torches).
Tourist information – Solčava:
TIC Solčava – Center Rinka
t: +386 3 839 07 10